Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Why I Probably Won't Use Personalized Learning

This may not be a popular statement, but I don't know how much - if any - I'm going to try to personalize the learning for my students this upcoming semester. I know of the benefits we've read about and heard about in the videos.  But personalized learning goes against my approach to teaching.  I like what comes from the camaraderie and collectivity of the classroom setting, and believe that learning is strengthened as we try to learn as a group (I'm included in the group, by the way). Some people want to move ahead, so they will help others who lag behind a bit (and as we know, we also learn when we teach!). Although I usually try to keep in mind what career goals or even course goals my students have, I usually don't personalize the curriculum based on those goals (I just keep those goals in mind as I have individual discussions with them through the semester).  


I am fully on board with blending the learning more this semester, but I can't quite buy into the personalization of the learning.  That is because there are certain things I think are absolutely important each students gets  even if they don't quite get the material. Some of those things include gains in critical thinking, collaboration, creativity, self-confidence, writing, and presentation skills. The best way for me to facilitate this is to look at my class as a team (that I coach and guide) rather than as a collection of individuals. 

Again, this may not be the most popular way to go.  But I believe in it because I think there's power in the collectivity enabled by a classroom setting. I just can't subscribe to dismembering that collectivity in favor of personalized learning - at least not at this time.

1 comment:

  1. Marcus, I tend to agree with your thoughts. There certainly is a limit to how much a teacher can personalize course content for students. I watch those videos of students all working at their own pace and I do not see much interaction. In a math class, if student A moves ahead of student B in 5th grade, they will never be in the same place again. A classroom full of those kinds of students will not be able to have any meaningful dialogue.

    As you say, it is often better for everyone to work together and help each other to keep the pace.

    ReplyDelete