Saturday, April 19, 2014

Course Work Example; Digital Literacies Class

Here's an example of some of the cool work we're doing in our Digital Literacies course.  We had to create a map that told a story.  Maps can be used as a platform for storytelling (for a cool example, check out this blog).  Of course I never thought of maps in this way before, but it's totally true!  So I decided to draw a map of my office in the Sociology department where I work, and plot what I think is usually communicated based on where a visitor in my office stands:

As you can see in the key below the map, where a person locates him or herself is normally tied into the urgency and length of the issue at hand.  Also, the radius-like thing I draw on each circle represents the person's range of vision (meaning that I, in a chair that rolls, adjust where I'm located to align with that range). This is not anything that's planned, it's just a pattern I've noticed over the course of the past year I've been in my office.  

If someone ends up in Position 4, I know that whatever matter at hand is probably something that needs to be handled as quickly as possible.  But if someone only comes to Position X, they may just want to say hi or ask a quick question.  They also may feel like they don't want to "intrude" into the office (although I don't feel like anyone's intruding; so come on in!).  

Position 1 may be a little more complex than a quick hi or quick question. What's said in Position 2 may not be more complex than Position 1, but may be longer (someone saying hi and then maybe asking a bit more about how things are going, or someone needing clarification on a couple of issues).  

Position 3, which is a seat on a plush chair in my office, means we may get engaged in a bit of conversation.  

Finally, visiting speakers are usually the only ones that go to Position Y as they give me their belongings to hold on to while they go through their day (I usually put the belongings where the clothes stand is).

I used Classroom Architect to help make the map and then wrote the positions and the key.  I think it's interesting we looked into this as part of our Digital Literacies class, as it really breaks down - once again - that the concept of literacy can and should be applied across so many mediums and platforms.  It's not just about books, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment