Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Plight of the Part-Time Student: Staying Fit Part 2

Here area few more tips for us PT’ers to stay healthy:


I wonder if Santa takes grad courses on the side...


5. Make health a priority for your family - not just you!

Make sure to communicate with your spouse (and kids) that you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle; they will help you and most likely join you on the adventure.  This is a good way to create a healthy environment in a family; if one spouse is eating fruit, vegetables, working out 2-3 times a week, and cutting down on sugar, the others may be motivated to follow suit in some way.  Also, this gives you another way to bond with your spouse and kids.

6. Take breaks!  Take breaks! Did I mention take breaks?

It is very easy to keep working and working and working through work and school and then get home and run out of gas.  All of this leads to a) less physical energy to take care of your health and b) less mental energy to focus on your health.  Take breaks throughout the day and really reflect on your health.  When was the last time you took a run?  Did you eat any fruits and vegetables today?  How can you take your health to the next level?

7. Combine!
Here’s a pretty cool thing I’m learning; start experimenting with putting some of the healthier foods like fruits and almonds into some of the foods you already eat.  If you pack a lunch for work (highly recommended) and you have, say, a sandwich, try to sprinkle some crushed almonds into the sandwich.  This is an easy way to get some additional fiber in your diet. Trust me, after a while you get used to these combinations and with very little effort, you add to your nutritional intake.

8. Reward yourself!
I started a little system where I get myself prizes after a certain number of times at the gym. All of my prizes are pieces of athletic gear. For instance, I'll purchase some (long overdue) new running sneakers after 40 workouts. Use whatever reward system works best for you. In the midst of a packed schedule, making exercise fun and almost like a game is a great way to keep yourself going motivated.

That’s all I have for now, but I’ll share more as I go.  I just had a great run yesterday and hope that the holiday season doesn't slow the momentum!

No comments:

Post a Comment