Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Future Classroom

What will the future classroom look like?  I really don't think, in general, it will look much different than what it looks like today.  While I'm sure we'll see the integration of more technology on a widespread basis, the basic structure (room with seats and a general area for a head of instruction to stand) will still reign supreme.  Change takes time.  A lot of time.

For me personally, I think my face-to-face teaching in ten years will be similar to how it is today with one exception.  I think I will devote more of the class time to dissect the online activities I assign. I believe that the blended component of my teaching will increase, and the online component will be significantly more vital to the overall discussion in class.  This is because the digital space will continue to be increasingly integral to the identities of the younger generation.  As  such, the ideas, thoughts and mindsets that are spurred by online activity (but wouldn't necessarily be spurred in a face-to-face setting) will need to be critically examined during face-to-face time.  If not, the potential to create an even more powerful learning experience in the classroom may be lost.

In the limited teaching opportunities I had five years ago, I took on more of a mentor/coach approach.  These days a little bit of coach comes out every now and then ("You can do it!") but I'm much more systematic in trying to get my students to the learning goal.  I also did not use a blended approach, whereas now I'm not sure if I could imagine teaching without going in that direction.


4 comments:

  1. I love the vision some of the others had about makerspace looking classrooms, but I hate to say I think you might be right - that future classrooms might not be all that different. Everyone has had inspiring ideas on their blogs - more diversity, collaboration, etc. and that's really great (and probable.) It's up to us to be change agents :) Thanks for posting Marcus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other thing to think about is the growth of informal learning programs, and their partnerships with the schools. These spaces may fill the gaps of providing students with more innovative and engaging learning experiences. If so, schools themselves may feel even less obligated to change anything within their own structures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you talk about the increase use or availibility of technology inside classrooms, I began to wonder about all of the national standards and assesments. The Common Core is coming, for better or worse, (or it is here depending on where you teach, I suppose) likewise, the movements to have parents opt their child(ren) out of assessments are growing and I wonder what tech will do for that? Will classrooms contain versions of 1984's "Big Brother?" Will students be expected to log-in once a week to be tested on what they've learned and how will this information to be used? I don't mean to be melodramatic, it's just a curious thing to think that for all the great things tech can do, it can still be used to create the problems we're trying to escape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think there is the possibility for a shift to occur in providing equity to bring more of these resources into play?

    ReplyDelete