Saturday, August 8, 2015

Integrating Blackboard versus Blending it!

I enjoyed Jen Jonson's video on technology integration versus blended learning. The framework is one that I will revisit frequently as I return to teaching this Fall.

In particular, I'd like to do a better job of blending Blackboard into the learning experience.  Although Blackboard is an online component, which falls in line with what blended learning encompasses,  I have some work to do to make it feel more blended into the overall learning experience of my courses.

Right now, I would say that I've mainly integrated Blackboard into the experience of my courses.  As Jonson says, this is not a bad thing.  It has been great as a tool for sending announcements to the class, depositing course material, and even prompting responses to questions.  But I will use more careful planning to dynamically blend what happens on Blackboard better to the flow of what happens in the classroom.  Figuring out ways to replicate some of the activities in the classroom would be good,  along with making sure that these online activities stem from, and feed into, those classroom activities.

So this year perhaps I will add video content to extend instruction of what is discussed in the classroom.  Instead of just giving a question where students answer within a discussion thread (that ends up having very little interaction between the students) I will think of better ways to facilitate small-group interaction on Blackboard (perhaps split the students into small cohorts or teams that have to interact more substantively). Also, it would be helpful to set the tone the first class by stressing that the interaction on Blackboard is integral to the continuing learning experience of the class.

I think I'll be able to engage in this approach at least adequately due to what I've learned in the VOLT program. It will be exciting to see how things work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment